December 31, 2006

Saddam


Somehow, it's unfortunate to know that former Iraq president Saddam Hussein was executed recently. Even more, the manner by which he was executed was quite cruel - probably more so because of the photos (and videos?) that circulated on the Internet. For all the wrongs that he may have done in the past, i believe it is not right to take his life. I strongly oppose death penalty. I believe it's wrong to perpetuate violence with violence.

I remember the time when the infamy of Saddam was at its peak. I think it was in the early 90s on the height of the Gulf War. As a kid, I look at Saddam as the notorious guy - with the thick mustache and all. On the other hand, there was George Bush (the older one) - who I considered the "good guy". Scud missiles vs. Patriot missiles. Also common were the phrases "Saddam'it" and "Bushit". And of course there was the popular novelty song that went something like "Sasasaddami na problema natin"... something like that.

But then again, the execution also shows that evil does not go unpunished. Though I disagree with the hanging, it is somehow good to know that a powerful dictator was brought to justice. I just hope this is a lesson to corrupt and abusive leaders and government officials all over the world.

Labels: , ,